Thread: My first pointy
View Single Post
Old 01-03-17, 10:12 AM   #1
Taipan

Thumbs up My first pointy

Hi All,

I commute into London on a Sh300 scooter which does the job fine, but I decided I'd like a bike sitting there for the occasional blast on. Having owned 2 or 3 SVs before I thought i'd get another.

So i looked on eBay and gumtree etc and up popped a pointy for a grand! It was an S but had been converted to a N after being thrown at the scenery. 32k mile with no service history but it had just gone through an MOT with 2 advisories, rear pads and front tyre on the limit.

I wasn't expecting much from a pointy for that money and i'd enjoying tinkering about with it, so I beat the other interested parties to it and got her bought. Riding it home was okay once i'd pumped up the tyres from 7psi front to 28 in the rear. Sigh.

Seems responsive and pulls well but if in traffic at a slight throttle with high revs it feels, err, uneven? Seems to burble through the exhaust in an odd way. I'll check the TPS setting and TB balance to see if they're okay, particularly the TPS as its clearly been moved.

New rear pads fitted an a matching (part worn for now) tyre on the front was done. Front pads are new and calipers see to operate freely. Its had new head bearings and the C&S seem fine. Forks were sticking up about an inch in the yokes, so i've put them flush again. New oil and filter today and i found it has a K&N in the air box, which wasn't dirty but has been cleaned anyway.

It has LED indicators which will be replaced with mini ones that have a bulb. Also the rear light has built in indicator strips which flash when indicating. Thats going too and a standard one will be fitted.

The main problem is the made up speedo bracket which appears to be made out of two skinny strips of metal that cant even hold the speedo up and it bounces about and rests on the twin headlights, which will also be going in favour of a round one, so i'll have to make up some better bracketry for the speedo assembly.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on a bit there! Its good to be back in the SV saddle again. Here she is.

Last edited by Taipan; 01-03-17 at 10:14 AM.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote