View Single Post
Old 15-04-18, 08:53 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 opinions. day to day/touring/etc

If you are going to tour and spend a long time in the saddle you will need to get the seat modified as it is thinly padded and after a couple of hours your b*m cheeks let you know they are not happy.

The AL7 is quick off the mark and a respectable 3.2 seconds to 60 mph (final drive is 46/15 so lower than previous models), it is no slouch and 6 speed box is a joy. The clutch actuator is now rack and pinion rather
than a helix and ball bearings (and is hidden well away from dirt and water).

The dash is very informative and more like you get in a car with digital speed readout, engine temp, fuel gauge, miles to go, couple of trips, a clock, rev counter (bar type) and gear indicator. I find it easy to read with good contrast (contrast / brightness is adjustable). ABS brakes are good news (don't think you can buy it in UK without ABS since new rules came in a year or so ago).

I fitted an MRA screen to mine but it made wind noise in helmet horrendous, so I chopped 3" off the upturned lip, noise is better but still not as good as without the screen (may take screen off this year).

Economy is absolutely great, I have had low 80's out of mine, and getting anywhere in the 70's is no sweat.

I find the suspension fine for my 13.5 stone weight, and riding position is pretty comfortable for me at 5' 8".

The engine is evolution rather than revolution since 1999, so is a well proven power unit.

For me the standard exhaust has a nice note and I would not want it any louder.

Like Seeker I don't do touring but if I did I think I would be the weak link rather than the bike, which I think is a great balance of power, economy and fun. Even 76 horses can get you into trouble with the law very quickly, and our national speed limit is 70 mph and the AL7 will get you there pretty quickly. I have been out on runs with bigger more powerful bikes and never felt at a disadvantage and AL7 handling is pretty damn good at normal road speeds.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-04-18 at 09:08 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote