View Single Post
Old 15-04-18, 09:11 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 opinions. day to day/touring/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Well, this is embarassing. I mentioned the nikasil bores because I read it on a forum or should I say, I thought I read it. I can find no reference to it anywhere - I do find reference to resin coated piston skirts and L shaped rings but nothing on cylinder lining - so I was wrong (sorry).

The AL7 has only been out for about 3 years and nobody on this site or the USA site have reported any mechanical issues yet.
The liners are SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material) which is similar to nikasil but modified, the problem with nikasil was that the sulphur in petrol degraded it, ( https://www.torquecars.com/bmw/nikasil-issue.php ) this is not the case with SCEM and fuel is low sulphur these days anyway (The high sulphur content was attributed to 'supermarket fuel' ). Suzuki use SCEM in all their racing engines and is very durable.

The resin coated piston skirts are undoubtedly Molybdenum Disulphide resin, which Honda has been using in their car engines for many years now to reduce friction between piston skirt and the bore.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-04-18 at 09:33 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote