View Single Post
Old 18-08-18, 09:46 AM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Noisy Cam chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post

I've pre-empted this on my SV as I'm a 40 year usage believer in Moly/MSo2

Not only will I never let a leak let my Motorcycles run low I protect the engines with MSo2 so that even if I miss the level the engine/s give me a chance to recover from my laxity.

And again to explain to people who do not understand the power of MSo2.

It's not a,"Friction Modifier".

It does,"Not" cause,"Clutch Slip"

It has no effect on non metallic parts such as Clutch friction plates.

It is inert and does not affect the function of the oil it's added to.

It is it's own unique compound that is used even in Dry powder form as a bearing lubricant in Ocean going liners and Supertankers drive shafts and bearing couplings that can last over a Million miles.

It adheres to points of metallic contact under high stress reducing the Mohr factor.

My 99 has 22,000 miles on it and sounds like it's not long out of the Showroom and pleasantly run-in
+ 100%

I am also a long time user of Moly in engines and gearboxes (and even the lawnmower when I have a bit left over) - engines in all my cars have done very large mileages and not used a drop of oil or had a spanner on them (except cambelts in older cars).

MsO2 is the reason CV joints now last the lifetime of the car and don't need replacing every 50K or so. MsO2 is a boundary lubricant, which means it is still there on bearing surfaces when you first start your engine before the oil gets woken up and is there if the oil goes away - as R1ffR4ff says it sticks to metal (the disulphide bit has an affinity to metals) and forms a film of molybdenum plates that have extremely low sliding friction. I add 2% (60ml) to my motorbike engine oil.

It is widely used in industry in very challenging lubrication applications, many years ago my next door neighbour was a lubrication engineer, they used to sell dry film molybdenum lube to power stations for use on the chains of conveyors that fed pulverised coal into the boiler furnaces, it was the only thing that was effective, I blagged a few cans off him and used it on my motorbike and pushbike chains

https://www.threebond.co.jp/en/techn...pdf/tech09.pdf

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ilm-lubricants

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote