View Single Post
Old 09-07-06, 12:51 AM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Okay.

You sit the bike vertical on its tyres and measure from the ground to a fixed point on the bike near the line with the axle, front and rear.

From there have somebody hold the bike vertical and climb on board, assume the normal riding position. Have a 3rd person re-measure from the ground to those points.

There should be the 25mm difference between these two measurements.

This is simply referred to as setting the sag, I have never come across anyone who breaks it up into 'bike' and 'rider' sag as the only one that matters is with the rider on board. Logically this is because the weight of the bike is a constant but the rider weight changes and the suspension needs to be set up to compensate for this.
Wrong again.

Okay lets go with rider sag. What you are looking for the the difference between the measurements of the suspension unloaded(topped out) and the suspension loaded(rider)

Front : USD> measure the distance from the dust seal to the bottom of the stanchions . For RWU forks(sv etc)> measure from the dust seal to the bottom of the bottom yoke.

Rear vertical measurement from the axle to anywhere above say seat unit subframe etc.

Now plunk the rider on board and take measurement at same points. Difference is your rider sag.

As an aside it is agueable that bike sag is more important than rider sag . Think about it

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote