View Single Post
Old 09-07-06, 10:06 AM   #10
RingDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Funnily enough, reading through that link confirmed the measurements that I listed in the first post, assuming the correct spring rate is fitted. Therefore I'm not really sure why there has been the huge carry-on and to say that what I posted was "dangerous" is farcical.
Yes you're right in that it confirms the amount of rider sag to set for. However, your method of measurement (included below cause this is getting confusing!) does not give rider sag, or static sag for that matter. It gives the difference between the two. That could, potentially, be dangerous as all you are doing is trying to set some degree of sag at some point in the suspension travel. Your reference, which is the static sag, could be anything. It is extremely unlikely to be an issue (and won't be if you already have the correct spring rate) but if you are only going to set rider sag then you should still do it with reference to the UNLOADED suspension length. That is the standard method of measurement, as the article bears out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
You sit the bike vertical on its tyres and measure from the ground to a fixed point on the bike near the line with the axle, front and rear.

From there have somebody hold the bike vertical and climb on board, assume the normal riding position. Have a 3rd person re-measure from the ground to those points.

There should be the 25mm difference between these two measurements.
As for the rest of your disagreements with 21Quest... I'm keeping out of it! :lol

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote