View Single Post
Old 11-05-18, 07:28 AM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy Cold Starting Needs Running Start

I couldn't get the videos to play in my Browser first time so I went back and downloaded them and then they would play.

It's almost definitely a carb issue and possible fuel in the engine oil/Hydro lock.

I had a similar issue on one of my Old Hondas with CV carbs.There's a set of circumstances whereby if the Floats have gone out-of-spec the Needle valves inside the carbs that they lift don't stop the fuel as it should when the the correct fuel height is reached.

Then if the engine happens to have been stopped with the inlet valves open and there is a fault with the Petcock as well fuel can drip into the engine and into the engine oil.As I said I had this happen and the engine would not turn over but I smelt fuel and when I took the oil filler cap off the stink was there and the oil was contaminated to hell.

If the engine had started I bet it would have been ruined in minutes.

As I already knew a lot about these carbs I took them off and cleaned and dressed the ends of the Float needle valves with some toothpaste(It's a tip in the Haynes for them) and reset the Float heights as they had gone out from 15.5mm from the perpendicular/Carb body which is the specs for the CX500.

I've not checked for the CV carbs in my SV as I've had no problems so far but will have a read later.

There's a nice blow-up here and it's parts 28/29 I'm talking about,

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...les/carburetor

This would also account for the fuel I saw bubbling at idle in the video.

Note:Once I had fixed the carbs I ran some cheap 20w50 engine oil in the engine for a few mins and then dumped it and then did it again and dumped it.Then used my proper engine oil.

Yes a bit of faffing about but for the cost of a cheap gallon of oil well worth it IMHO and had no problems with the engine and carbs after that for thousands of miles.

BTW.B&M Supermarkets are doing a 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil for £12.99 for 4 litres you can use as a flush.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...-oil-4l-334747

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 11-05-18 at 08:16 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote