View Single Post
Old 16-05-18, 09:38 AM   #28
machulnyy

Default Re: Curvy Cold Starting Needs Running Start

Sooo...after stripping the carbs and trying to change the needles etc, I stripped a screw holding the needle seat in place. Long story short, couldn’t be arsed with this damned carb anymore and just ordered a second hand low miles one off eBay. Installed yesterday. No petrol smell. No obvious leak. No more petrol spray inside carb. Whoop!

Done as R1FF suggested, got some cheap 5L Halfords 10w40 oil to run through the engine and drained it. Repeat x3. Topped up with some fully synthetic Repsol oil to run with.

Feeling confident, rode to work this morning. However, now, it is backfiring and popping like nobody’s business at low revs (maybe high revs too but just cant hear it). If I let go of throttle, it eventually drops the revs and dies 🤦🏼*♂️ so have to sit at the lights with the throttle partially open and a load of popping from the exhaust...must be quite a sight. But I think it’s progress nonetheless!
Several things come to mind:
• change spark plugs
• carb adjustment screw set incorrectly and is running too lean (or rich?)
• carbs out of sync with engine (hope it’s not this as cannot do myself)
• carbs have vacuum leak
• overfilled oil a tad (would this cause backfiring?)

(Note: while tinkering I lost a small part from the choke lever when dismantling the handle. Now the choke keeps springing back. Doesn’t stay on. Will need to sort this but maybe is the culprit?)

What do you guys think? Is there a more obvious solution I’m not seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk