Thread: Triumph Bobber
View Single Post
Old 23-12-17, 01:57 PM   #32
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Bobber

I have worked in robotics and automation for pretty much the whole of my career, believe me it is hard enough controlling things when they are on fixed locations and fixed paths, let alone freely wandering around. There is an awful lot of hype around at the moment because AV is a bandwagon no company wants to miss, they are all looking for investment so they are hardly gonna let on how hard its going to be. Humans do an awful lot of things better than machines (like decision making, not just routine fairly low tech decisions like ABS where it only has to stop wheel locking up) - truth is people go on about machines existing on their own and reproducing etc - they all need electricity to function, take that away and they are just so much junk. For vehicles to keep track of where they are they they need massive 3D files of the surroundings (which need constant updates), if one thing is out of place the car can see it as an obstacle, read a few weeks ago that an AV kept swerving when it went over a section of road, there was one pixel (1 pixel in millions) wrong on the picture it was seeing and it treated it as an obstacle to be avoided. How can you program an AV to cross a double white line (humans do it all the time to get round obstacles).

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/5/1625...ng-soon-future

http://www.newsweek.com/you-may-not-...ess-car-575305

The atmosphere in traffic is going to be so congested with radio waves to allow the cars to 'talk to each other' that I would be surprised if anything gets the signal it needs.

If humans can be trusted to concentrate on what they are doing they are superb, trouble if some are easily distracted and that is when the problems start. There are more and more humans being put out of jobs by automation (mainly on a cost basis) but they still have to be paid welfare, and 'the devil finds work for idle hands'. it is pretty ironic that just when population is rising humans think it is a good time to try to destroy hundreds of millions of jobs around the world by replacing humans.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-12-17 at 07:24 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote