View Single Post
Old 13-08-17, 07:56 PM   #26
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: What is this and how do I make one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
Many curvy owners would disagree with that statement. You have been lucky.

The biggest problem is lack of cooling, there is nothing wrong with the old style RR's, apart from the heat they produce. MOSFET runs cooler, hence the lack of cooling on the SV is less of a problem.

Maybe MOSFETs were invented in 1959, but they have only become common on bikes in recent years to my knowledge, presumably as the costs fell?

I went through 3 standard RR's, then I gave up and went MOSFET.

I have non MOSFET RR's on all my other bikes, none have ever caused a problem, but they are all cooled far better than than SV RR.
I've not been lucky.I've been vigilant and as for,"Many" that may mean many have been misled and reading complaints/failures from the Internet is not a valid,"Real world" testament as there are countless hundreds of thousands on Motorcycles using stand R/Rs with no problems including Curvy SV650s.You rarely see a post saying,"My R/R is working perfectly

I don't disagree that the Mosfet design is superior and if some one has had problems it may well be a cure but it by no means a common problem IMHO just a commonly,"Highlighted" one.