View Single Post
Old 01-06-20, 09:28 AM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Now Germany is looking at bike noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

Exhausts only work properly when the baffles are still in there, many remove them, including a few bikes around our way. I doubt a stock SV would trigger above 95dB
so I'm OK ( not that I intend to go to Tyrol anyway ).

Once again the actions of a few % who want wide open pipes are causing problems for the many who really don't want to ride around sounding like a mobile crow scarer.

I am still surprised MOT does not check noise in both cars and bikes, I know some people put baffles back in for MOT, but some don't and they still seem to pass.
True but providing the exhaust was designed to use a baffle (or probably better to say sound damper/db killer...a removable piece, not the baffling built in to the can which some loons remove). Some exhaust systems are designed very well, but then they include an optional db killer so that they can comply with regulations and sell to a broader market if you put it in it will actually run worse (but quieter).

A stock SV exhaust will not be near 95db so you're save

MOT testers do have 'some' obligation to prevent stupid exhausts, I forget the exact terminology but it appears to be open to interpretation/not a defined value as they seem to be able to use their discretion