View Single Post
Old 17-06-18, 09:39 PM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternator/reg/rec question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
So, I've had a look at as much as I can - the generator looks fine (resistance within normal range, output on all three pairs rising from ~25V to ~90V going from idle to 5k RPM). All contacts clean and corrosion-free.

With the engine started and idling, the R/R was generating 14.1V. At 5k RPM it was 13.7V, with the headlight on at 5k it drops to 13.3V.

For some reason I didn't write down the voltage idling with the lights on. But, the voltage drop without the lights on would explain why the lights are dimming. At the end of the day, 13.3V means it would still be charging the battery to some degree.

So, my conclusion is that my battery isn't holding its charge as well as it did when new, and I probably need a new one at some point.

That said, I'm still a little concerned about the R/R voltage drop as the engine revs. Either the R/R is having trouble, or there's something drawing a lot of power when I rev.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Faulty batteries can cause spurious readings and no end of problems.If you are looking for a new battery my SV came with a Dynavolt Sealed gel and is 3+ years old and no signs of failing.If it did I would buy a Motobatt AGM replacement as I have one that is 6 years old from an older Bike but won't fit the SV

Proper Sealed Gel or AGM batteries come"Sealed"maintenance free and fully charged and are,"Fire-And-Forget".

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-06-18 at 09:51 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote