View Single Post
Old 02-06-10, 10:20 AM   #6
chasey

Default Re: Gym/running advice thread

You have lots of open ended questions there! Things such as how long you can run for, good time etc it all depends on the person. Some people are. what I would call, natural runners. Myself, I am not. I started running when I started training to apply for the army (long story short, I chickened out, regret it and am reapplying shortly..). I had to work really hard but it's amazing if you put the effort in what you can achieve. 2 miles for some people is a walk upto the shops and back, 2 miles for others can be a marathon.

I started off doing 2miles. When I first started running that I was getting around 13minutes.

Along with running I was doing weight training, or incorporating some pushups/situps/pullups into a run. It probably made me look like a machine (read: d1ck) but every little helps.

Depending on your goal and age depends what heart rate you should be working at. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head mind.

Increasing good protein intake is always a good idea. I used Maximuscle products. (Cyclone to initially bulk out as it's packed with calories then promax there after). I would recomend using Promax. I use it after climbing and can really tell the benefits. If you are using it as part of a training program you should also take it on your off days. Another brand that a colleague at work uses is PhD. Tastes crap compared to Maximuscle but has the same benefits.

Remember though, that the more exercise you do, the more calories you will have to take on to aid muscle growth and repair. Stay away from food full of sugar and saturated fat, eat the good stuff (it's normally green)! If you don't keep your calorie intake up you will start getting tired, won't be arsed going to the gym, stop going etc. Vicious cycle!

As Noble Ox said, vary your workout. Someone I used to work with went to the gym 5 days a week (3 days 2 times a day!) working different muscle groups and different areas of the body. There is lots of information on the internet some of it crap (like most of this post no doubt) however there is some really good information