View Single Post
Old 22-03-05, 01:04 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Default Re: Rev it! Riding style questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Bud_One
Assuming fair conditions..

1. What's the max revs your comfortable to cruise at before changing up a gear?

6-7 on country lanes I prefer to be in lower gear and rev higher- gives you the option of rolling off the throttle to brake.

2. Does it vary, dependant on gear?

Yes- on the motorway I regularly rev lower in a higher gear- better fuel consumption at the loss of some control.

3. (If applicable) When "giving it some", how close/past the red rev lines do you go?

On the odd hairy overtake/going round a corner fast in low gear, I've hit the red line a few times. I've only hit the limiter once- won't be doing that again...

4. Based on a combination of riding ability and national speed limits; Do you drive well within your limits, push it sometimes or always on the edge?

When I first got the bike I was always on the edge (90mph overtakes on country lanes etc.). I've calmed down a lot now, but I still push myself a bit. I think you have to or else you'll take years to improve. I'm almost as fast as I was, but now I think I'm a lot safer. No one event really made me change- just got fed up of locking up the rear wheel, feeling exhausted after a 2 hour ride (from constant adrenaline), etc.

5. Do you never, rarely, sometimes or often have a red mist experience due to other road users? If so, how does it affect your riding style?

I very often get ****ed off with senseless idiots and often mutter under my breath. I have, so far, resisted the temptation to take retaliatory measures. Came close on a rideout a couple of weeks ago. If I'd not been with other people, the driver would now have a dented door panel.

6. Has there been a key lesson or experience that's improved your riding? If so, what?

Reading the IAM & Police Roadcraft handbooks and putting some of the stuff into practice.

This isn't for a study or survey. Just intrigued to know how other SVer's riding styles compare with mine.

Ta