View Single Post
Old 13-08-18, 06:51 PM   #296
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
It's been a bit of a mixed week for me - I went running on Tuesday, and my ankle gave way after less than a mile of easy running. No amount of stretching would stop it from hurting after a couple of paces, so I had to stop. Wednesday I felt it just walking, and it slowly got better through the week, but no running.

Sunday ... I had entered a local 10k race. As my wife was also running in it, I didn't have the option of not going, so I thought I'd give it a go. I could feel the ankle complaining at me, and thought about pulling out continuously for the first 7k. Then I realised I was just using it as an excuse and got on with it. Very happy to finish, and my ankle is fine this morning.

It's the randomness which gets me - I used to like going out on group runs, but at the moment I've got no idea whether I'll finish or not so don't want to let others down. There's a social run going out along the Ridgeway on Wednesday ... I'm going to give it a go. Wish me luck!
Good man for sticking with it! Try and stay off the tarmac and on the trails if possible, much kinder to your joints especially if you are recovering from or nursing a previous injury. Trail running will strengthen your ankles too, which will help to support the joint. Keep going and let's see some of the routes you're running (Strava?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Two runs this weekend after an 11 month lay-off. Had knee problems last year and ended up being scanned and physio'd then rested.

Only short runs 3k or so but I soon found how unfit I've become.
Well done! Remember that running mantra -"run/rest/run/rest". Same thing again, try and run trails rather than tarmac and give the knee a chance. Get your times and routes up here. I always find it really interesting to see how others are doing.

Am I the only canicross runner here so far?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote