Thread: I'm a numpty
View Single Post
Old 27-08-19, 02:44 PM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default I'm a numpty

My bike has had a little rattle ever since I bought it, but have never done anything about it as it hasn't hindered the performance.
About 3 weeks ago I thought that I would check the camchain adjusters as I'd heard that they can be a little lazy. I took the front valve cover off & had a tug at the camchain, it didn't seem too bad, but I'd bought a couple of manual adjusters, so thought I'd fit them. I removed the OE adjuster & heard a twang but thought nothing of it & fitted the manual adjuster, tightened it up, put everything back together & tried to start the bike.
There was a large bang & flames out of the carb. When I took the head off this is what I found, 2 bent valves [emoji17].
Moral of the story is, do everything by the book & don't assume that nothing has moved. I've now fitted a second hand head, checked the shims.... To the book & took her for a short ride this morning.
The old SV feels like a new bike, she revs really well, no stuttering & most of all, no ticking noise anymore. I was that impressed I even gave her a wash!

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote