Thread: B*ll*cks
View Single Post
Old 17-02-19, 09:37 AM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default B*ll*cks

Wrote off my lovely K6S yesterday morning: was heading to Wales and was coming up to the A534 / A49 junction to go past Beeston. Roads had damp patches from the overnight mist but were drying quickly. Throttled off, squeezed the brake lever gently on the approach to the kink into the junction and then suddenly I'm belly-surfing towards the traffic island with the bike skating in front of me. No warning, no twitch or shimmy, she just slammed straight down on her left side at probably 35-ish. No-one else involved.

While waiting for the recovery truck I inspected the road, and found a small diesel spill, maybe 3 feet long and less than a foot wide, in a damp patch just before the first scrape marks from my bike.

My gear did its job: armoured jeans were ripped through to the Kevlar but that didn't tear; jacket worn through to the elbow armour; glove heavily abraded but no holes; helmet chin bar scraped and bumped. Damage to me is a broken left pinkie finger and chafed knees.

Unfortunately the bike is toast because it hit the kerb, stoving the tank in and taking a bite out of the frame. All plastics on the left are scraped and broken too.

So I'll be on the lookout for another bike once I've got the insurance sorted.

I'd like to thank Luke, who stopped and gave me an antiseptic wipe and plaster for my knee, and Steve who also stopped and kindly gave me a bottle of water while I was waiting for the truck. Carole Nash's recovery was really good too.

Lessons? Be wary of diesel spills, and wear a full-face helmet: my chin and face would NOT have been happy if I was wearing an open-face job.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote