View Single Post
Old 02-05-11, 09:04 AM   #34
-Ralph-

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Downside is that the steering is a lot slower, making fast direction changes harder - it can also feel like the bike is understeering because I expect it turn faster.
Hmm, slower steering is definately something the Daytona doesn't need, but then the geometry is already more aggressive than the VFR, and it's only slow steering when compared to other sportsbikes. It's a different bike and may behave differently.

Did you stick with the same sizes and profiles that you had with the Avon Storms?

I'm going up to a steeper a profile on the back, from a 190/50 to a 190/55 in an attempt to speed steering up a bit. The profile on the front will be the same at 120/70.

I've done a lot of reading on it, so this is re-posting what I have read elsewhere, not my own knowledge, but I can see the sense in it. Whilst a lot of people put a 180/55 tyre on, which of course has a steeper profile than a 190/50, that is designed for a 5.5 inch rim, the Daytona is a 6 inch. This means once inflated the tyre is squashed over a wider rim and so it flattens out the profile and is then not much steeper than a 190/50, and you've changed the way in which the tyre was designed to operate. What I have read and the tyre manufacturers seem to agree, is that it's better to have a 190 tyre designed for a 6 inch rim, and increase the profile to 55 to make the tyre happier to roll in from upright and achieve the same profile advantage you'd get normally on a 180/55 on a 5.5 rim. Bigger contact patch on a 190 too means more grip.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-05-11 at 08:07 PM.