View Single Post
Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM   #33
Owenski

Default Re: Engineering career/general life advice...

I think we graduated the same year if not a year apart and its amazing how all the way up to getting the degree everyone insists you need it to "open doors" and "better yourself" then when you get it you get a distinct feeling of all those doors slamming shut and those able to put you in a position to better yourself turn their back.

No one ever feels they're paid enough, I'm learning that now. Even the ridiculously overpaid think they deserve more. Just reading the above I've not noticed anyone discuss the short time you're working. Assuming you're company works a typical 40hr week then the annual salary for that position would be around £21k based on what you wrote.
Because you work 20% less than that by missing a day it takes you to around 17k before tax deductions. From an employers perspective you cant judge your role on a 17k salary, as its actually a 21k position now I don't know what a salary for someone in your field should be but its worth considering the above before marching in to the gaffer and whacking your testis on the desk.

If you're doing a job which could/should be earning 30-40k then by all means leave, they may be lovely people but don't think for a second that if times were hard for them they wouldn't cut you loose to better themselves, quite simply they would.
You've listened to me and bert **** and moan about our jobs many times over we're both underpaid but both have reasonable packages which offset the miserable salary. Namely we had uni fee's paid, were permitted 39days off work a year to attend uni and still made a salary ontop of that.
Not to say you're blinkered but make sure you're eyes are open the the full package and not just the take home.

Failing that if you want to earn a large salary whilst in addition getting 65 week days plus weekends a year as leave then turn to teaching... I'm seriously considering it starting a School Direct Training in Maths/Physics as that'll pay me £15k during the year it requires to train.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding