View Single Post
Old 17-08-18, 08:38 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: I guess they were correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The Elephant in the room is the rapidly expanding human population, too many people wanting too many resources, completely out of control and it seems no-one wants to talk about it...
Agreed. Apart from the Chinese. I think they've (now) got a pretty good handle on it. But they're not great at being environmentally friendly.
Anyone seen "Fortress" with Christopher Lambert? Population controls always make you a bad guy. Not a policy I'd want to try to get elected on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
On my last doomsayer note: where does our oxygen come from? It comes from phytoplankton which has evolved to live in seawater - at a certain pH level.
Apparently we'd have enough oxygen for 1000s of years even if it stopped being produced. There's an awful lot of it in the atmosphere. This means, of course, that by the time it runs out, it'll be far far too late to do anything about it. We'll have to rely of artificial means of converting CO2 to O2. This is definitely possible but, like anything, requires a lot of power. And maintenance. If only someone could invent self maintaining machines that do this and just kind of grow everywhere? ohhhh.....