View Single Post
Old 11-05-18, 07:07 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rust in brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsen Cooper View Post
A friend of mine had an accident on his gsx and the whole front end was damaged. They didn’t pay out as he had an aftermarket exhaust fitted, therefore it was an undisclosed modification so he got the whole bill!! I was not aware of mods like brake hoses coming under this as whilst exhaust may affect performance (increase in horsepower etc) brake line do not... made me think about making a phone call to check unless anyone else on here has done that already?
As I said Tamsen it's specific to the Insurer and Policy what they class as allowable mods.If you want to be certain it's best not to second-guess Insurers for the sake of a phone call IMHO.

Sort of on the topic of insurers.Last year I fitted a,"Slip-on" exhaust but also wanted to up my usable mileage so rang Bennets whom I was with to check and the exhaust was fine but I had to pay another £30 for the extra miles and of course their £35 Admin fee so my total insurance had now cost me £175 from the original £110.I was earning good last year so didn't mind.

This year's renewal from Bennets including the 1 year ,"No-Claims" I now had(I used to have Classic Bike insurance so had no no claims bonuses to use) came in @ £286!!!!!!!!!!

Same bike and conditions.

Sod that.Shopped around and got what I wanted all things declared from MCE for around £160.

Point being Insurance can be complicated hence my warning.Now I'm not telling anyone to do as I do but just giving fair information so they can be armed with info and decide for themselves.

Here's how I look at it.

With the work I've done on my SV and it's condition I value it to replace at around £2000 and if the worst should happen and it had to be scrapped because of an accident/theft etc not to mention any 3rd Party liabilities.

I'm not risking that 2 grand for the sake of an Extra £50 whatever and the cost of a phone call etc.

HTH