View Single Post
Old 19-08-10, 08:59 PM   #29
MR UKI (1)

Default Re: Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranathari View Post
Don't take your chances - there was an article in the Independent last week about the Oxford speed cameras. Although they announced they would be turned off, they left film in them so they could observe what happened to average speeds as a natural experiment.

A camera outside a primary school saw the average speed go from 30mph to 40mph, going from a speed that'll hurt a child to one that'll kill a child more often than not. Given most drivers are idiots unable to judge when breaking the speed limit is appropriate (while I speed, I'd never do it around a school), I think we'll see this funding decision reversed once some high profile child fatalities occur.
It was on the BBC Breakfast news earlier this week. They left 2 camera's on (it was either in Oxford or Swindon, I can't remember which) to see what happened and there was an increase in speeding at the 2 sites. Although they did say it was purely an exercise to gauge the reaction to the camera's being switched off and they were not issuing tickets.