View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 12:33 PM   #7
Othen

Default Re: Bloop - what do you think about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I certainly wouldn't try to drill it out freehand. I'd strip the carb and file off (or use a milling machine if you have one around) the remnants of the screw until you can define the centre. Then set it up on a pillar drill or mill (angle plate etc) and use a spotting or centre drill to start the hole at the centre of the brass and go bigger a bit at a time, effectively shelling out the screw. Not a 5min job.

Unfortunately the thermal expansion of brass and alum alloys are very similar, so heat of itself will be of little use. Soaking in a proper penetrating oil might help but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Alternatively leave it alone ………………….

Thank you for that. I think the consensus is the same as the CCM guys - if it ain’t very broke, don’t try to fix it.

By chance I was changing the piston rings on that little bike this morn and had a look at the carburettor. I agree it could not really be done freehand, and I don’t think it is worth the effort and risk to mill it out.

The piston rings are changed (it still has a standard size piston so I suspect this was its first new set of rings in 43 years and 17,000 miles). Compression is back up to 100 PSI (from 75 PSI previously) - which is I suppose about 6.5:1 - I think that is fine for a 43 year old 2 stroke. The bike started 3rd kick after I’d put it back together, it certainly felt like it had a bit more power on a short run around the block. It is howling a gale this morn so I’ll leave a proper test for another day.

So - the carburettor is working fine, the bike starts easily and ticks over. It is missing a little at the top end but that is nothing to do with the pilot jet (I think the ignition needs advancing a little bit more). All that being said - the decision is to leave the pilot jet adjuster alone.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk