View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 09:50 AM   #7
Grant66

Default Re: Wrong Choice. New '18 SV650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I thought the MT-07 was a good bike (I've not had one) but other than suspension issues and stalling in the early versions, they were supposed to be reliable. They usually beat the SV in road tests.
It is, I have one and in most respects it's better than the SV.

The one area where it fails is the finish. I thought Suzuki had used cheese instead of aluminium for screw heads, but Yamaha take crap metal to a whole new level.
Three warranty corrosion claims in two years. The water pipes last a month in winter before turning black paint into a novel written in braille, the swing arm rusts along the welds (at least that survived one winter). Bolts, screws or pretty much any exposed metal will turn white in less that 18 months and don't get me started on the radiator finish, it looks like stevie wonder painted it with a 4ft brush.

If you ever want to remove any of the plastics make sure you have a sturdy set of allen keys, they are tightened and locktited in the factory to ensure they never come out. Unless it's the foot peg hero bolt , one scrape on the floor and it's gone for good, which isn't that much of a problem as they are far too long they hit the ground with half an inch of tread left on the rear wheel.

The MT07 is a great bike, but it seems Yamaha made some cost choices and lack of all year use is the result.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote