View Single Post
Old 27-06-18, 09:46 PM   #1328
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
not so much a tinkered but ordered two new springs for the Nitron shock. i eventually found out that the spring rate on nitron springs are the last numbers and are in lb. after doing a bit of calculating on racetech i have ordered some lighter springs to mess about with.

me being a tight arz was reluctant to pay £70+pnp for a spring from Nitron so went hunting on the net. first up was the shock factory who i found out are in France who then said to phone Springcoil who i found out are the main makers of shock springs who then put me on to D Faulkner Springs. two springs including vat and pnp came to £68.85 for the exact same springs in black.

if you have the older "sport" Nitron shock with the gold collar its a 2.25" spring.
well you put your trust in companies that have a very good reputation to know what they are doing.

i have always found the back end of my bike to be on the stiff side but thought nothing of it as "it cant be wrong" due to Nitron knowing what they are doing. when i set up the sag settings they came in close to what they should have been so that was that.

well it turns out they know sh!t or they dont care. i told them when i had my shock custom built for me exactly the type of riding and roads i rode on. 7 years i have been riding the bike with the Nitron as i trusted them to know more than me. in the back of my head i have always had a niggling doubt though.

turns out they spring the have put on the shock was waaaaaaayyyyyy too hard. they supplied a 450lb spring and i swapped it out for a 400lb spring as recommended by Racetech calculator.

what a fekin difference. more grip, more comfort, more feeling what the back end is doing. i have always advocated a softer rear spring on the pointy due to the rising rate linkage and i was right.

i'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the rapid tyre wear i have been experiencing on the bike has been due to too heavy a spring on the shock but only time will tell.

would i still recommend Nitron shocks.. hell yes as they have superb dampening.

Last edited by Bibio; 27-06-18 at 09:48 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote