View Single Post
Old 27-01-10, 09:59 PM   #513
Seggons

Default Re: 'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Cheers Seggsy!!
The problem is that its during term time and although the kids are with their dad that weekend i would need to be back by monday tea time. How long did it take to get up there? Do you think it would be realistic to leave home friday 9.30am, ride out saturday and sunday and then come back monday during the day, bearing in mind that i would usually sit at 85-90mph on the motorways? Sorry for all the questions, just not sure if i should commit or not. Apparently the campsite is the same as for GM1, was it ok or did you camp and freeze? I really want to go just not sure if it'd be asking too much of myself timewise
I'm not 100% sure and I'm sure if Pete or Lissa see this they will correct me if I'm wrong. I think we left for 8 - 9 in the morning and got there for about 3 or 4. It is feasible to do as you plan and do just the weekend. But I'm sure you'd enjoy it more if you could spend the Monday up there and come back Tuesday. Think of it as a mini break or something.

I did camp at the GM1 camp-site and it wasn't too bad. To go to bed I wore a thin jumper and thin bottoms with a warm-ish sleeping bag on a airbed. The issue I had was my tent was only 1 skin thick, so each time I touched it I got wet. With me also being quite tall my head hit one side and my toes the other.

The other thing to take note of is to make sure your bikes ready. Tyres need to be reasonably fresh. Since you'll be motorwaying it the centre of the tyres work hard. Make sure your chain and sprockets are also in good condition. The last thing you want is to get up there and have a chain snap on you.

But overall if you can do it then go for it. If you can spend extra time there it's a bonus.