View Single Post
Old 09-02-08, 07:59 AM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: How to get into racing.

Hi guys, I've been racing for about 7 seven years now on various bikes, Classic MZ250 singles, Yam FZR400 and for this year I'll be doing mini-twins an a SV650K3.

I race with the Wirral 100 at Anglesey and Oulton Park, the latter not being that far from Barnsley (if you sqint your eyes a little ). If it helps you are more than welcome to come along and check it out.

It can be much cheaper than you pointed out as when you first start you dont need to buy everything. Start cheap and if you enjoy it then upgrade as you go.

Tyre warmers and new tyres every weekend are not essential at all unless you are seriously fighting for top positions. I've raced an entire season on the same set of tyres before now, although for the past 4 years or so I've stepped up my game considerably.

For a newbie though, you'll find that there is more improvement available in your riding then in any mechanical upgrades you can make.

As you say licencing is the start. You only need to attend a new riders training day which is totally theory and not an on track race school. With this done you apply for your licence (?40) and away you go.

If there is anything you need let me know.

Mike
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote