View Single Post
Old 08-06-10, 09:54 AM   #8
Lozzo

Default Re: reclaim our tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty View Post
It's an initiative done by Bike as they say something along the lines of 'everyone turns up to trackdays these days on fully prepped track / race bikes in vans with tyre warmers and pit girls, etc etc and it's intimidating for people who just want to go on their road bike and give it a go'.

How pathetic, that's why there's a novice group. If seeing trackbikes or racebikes in your group is intimidating, then you're in the wrong group to start with. I started out in novice group on road bikes then progressed into inters and bought a stripped down road bike specifically for trackdays - it was still road legal with a plate etc. When I moved up to fast group I decided to take the bike a step further and put race plastics on and fit race suspension components so I could improve my riding further. Why should anyone feel intimidated by this if they aren't on track at the same time as the fully prepped bikes?

I've also helped out at quite a few trackdays now, and it still amuses me when Mr Bigshot road rider with his race rep stickered up R1, A/Star or Dainese leathers (these are the first things that mark him down as a know-nothing ****) and super-sticky tyres books himself into his first trackday in inters or fast group... and then proceeds to get monstered by GPZ500s and NC30s. I've seen one bloke on a Ducati 996 come back in after the warm up lap in inters group and ask to be put down a group because it's way too fast for him and he's terrified of the overtakes. His words "I'm the quickest of all my mates, but these guys are f@@king mental" - I put him down to novice group and he was fine all day.