View Single Post
Old 23-03-24, 04:44 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brake fluid musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I do like the flexible rubber seal used in motorcycle master cylinders and I think this helps keep the fluid dry compared with cars which in general just have an vent open to atmosphere to allow for changes in fluid level...

Automotive brake fluid reservoirs have a vent in the actual lid, but below the lid is a flexible membrane that has a collar ( sometimes pressed down by the lid to seal better) that is a tight fit in the neck of the reservoir and the membrane will allow level in reservoir to rise or fall while sealing the fluid from the atmosphere... The pinhole vent in the actual lid is just to allow the air above the flexible membrane to equalise and not build up pressure or vacuum as the membrane does its job. I have had a MityVac for may years and bleed the brakes on our cars and bikes about every 3 years. The MityVac makes it super easy to vacuum bleed the brakes - vacuum bleeding means that any air bubbles in the system will grow a lot larger under vacuum and be easier to suck out, and as long as you keep the vacuum on as you retighten the bleed nipple any remaining air bubbles will be massively reduced in size when subject to atmospheric pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mityvac-MV8...dp/B00265M9SS/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-03-24 at 04:52 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote