View Single Post
Old 06-03-14, 07:40 AM   #33
suzukigt380paul

Default Re: Warning to all Focus ST Owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
There is something amiss in the cambelt world, when I bought my golf in 2007 it's said clearly, 60,000 miles for a cambelt change, I then get a letter saying, it's 4 years or 40k, my car had not done 15k at 4 years old, there was no way I was parting with £450 on a 15k mile cambelt, I told vw this and asked why it's changed, I didn't get a very good answer.

I've had dozens of cars over the years with cambelts lasting 80-100k no bother, so what's changed? Cheaper manufacturing that's what.

Oh and Lenny, can chains aren't exempt, didn't you see watchdog regarding BMW's ?
bmw's problem wasnt that it has a chain its down to the fact that there chain wasnt up to the job,most camchains on car are a duplex chain,bmw's on the effected models is a single row timing chain,the problem on the volvo lump is/or seems to be the tensioner breaking,but that said i would never run a cambelt 100k or ten years,dispite what the manufacture says,every 5 years or 60k would be my preference,or play russian roulette waiting to see if it will last,some people will get away with 100k others arn't as lucky.as to luck i know a idiot who runs a old volvo,in a 140k(may be more) it has missed several cambelt changes and he has never changed the oil,he is either very lucky,or is talking bullsh1t,but just because he has got away with it doesn't mean others will