View Single Post
Old 01-09-21, 03:53 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pet Insurance Advise - Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
We use Pet Plan........
We have also had to claim for thousands of £ of treatment in the first few years we had our dog. She had a very rare dog version of meningitis, which was more an extreme immune response to nothing, but the same symptoms as meningitis. She was on steroids for the first 3 years. Very glad we had insurance or it would have been a very brutal life lesson for our kids.
PetPlan for Mabel too, it was the outfit the rescue centre use, so Mabel had cover when we collected her at 14 weeks.
Strangely enough, I had the same experience as Adam - Mabel went down with a form of Meningitis at 13 months old. It involved a trip to a very up to date, high tech veterinary centre in Solihull at a cost of £2400. The total vets bill including our local vet's fees came to just under £3000. I paid the excess which was around £270. very glad we had the insurance!

I'd also go with the recommendation of a crossbreed/mongrel. Mabel is a lurcher so by definition, a mongrel, albeit of a particular type. Mongrels tend to be temperamentally and physically much more stable than single breeds with all the inbreeding and congenital defects. Dogs coming from a hound base (greyhound, whippet, deerhound, Bedlingtons, Saluki etc) generally have very good nature and temperament. Beware of anything with too much border collie. Lovely dogs but total headcases!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote