View Single Post
Old 28-12-18, 12:04 PM   #14
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anybody know about setting up Probate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'm going through this now since my Dad passed in August. The solicitors were named as executors because I was out of the country when the Will was written. The solicitors can voluntarily surrender their role as executor to a relative.

I decided to let the solicitors handle it which, with hindsight, was not the best plan, but you're not thinking at your best when a parent dies. They are going to be charging me somewhere between £5k and £8k plus the cost of house deeds transfer which is another £800 ish (I think).

As far as I can tell probate is mainly contacting the asset holders and explaining you're the executor, calculate the estate's value for inheritance tax (if applicable), advertise the death to check for creditors to the estate. I don't know long it should take but my solicitors have been working at this for 4 months so far. You can apply for probate yourself with a PA1P form if there's a Will. (from gov.uk)
Yes, never a good idea to have a solicitor be an executor, but that's easy to say in hindsight, I did my mum's, and it was straightforward as it was only cash, no property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy12 View Post
Hey, realise it's been a long time since this last post but was just looking for a little more info on who can be executors. Is there anyone who can't be an executor? I read this probate guide but it doesn't say anywhere.

Any ideas?
As far as I know, anyone can be an executor, but it'd have to be someone who's trusted. My mum for some reason didn't want my sister as executor, I never knew why.

So it was me, with my brother as back up, just in case something happened to me, but not joint executors, that'd have complicated everything as we'd have had to go to every meeting together.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote