View Single Post
Old 06-11-18, 04:28 PM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trouble removing the exhaust

>>> Resurrecting a thread that is a couple of years old instead of starting a new one and cluttering the archives. Hope that's ok.

///

Doing the "quick" job of removing the exhaust on my K8 pointy so that I can drop the swingarm out and check bearings before replacing rear shock as suggested by several people on here.
I'm in the classic situation of having one bolt sheared off at the header.
I'm currently on day 2 of lying under the bike swearing on a cold garage floor with neck ache.

I have the offer of welding a nut to it from my metal fabricator neighbors at my workshop. Only problem is the bike is at home (4 mile from workshop), with lots of parts removed, inc exhaust (nearly), rear wheel / brake etc, front sprocket (to remove chain and then wheel), clutch actuator (to remove front sprocket) and all bolts cracked loose on suspension etc in preparation for the "simple" job of removing the swingarm.

It's been suggested I try the welding nut on technique while there's still a small amount of thread to work with rather than going straight for drilling and bolt extractors etc that might fail and make a mess.

If I can get the last parts free and then reassemble into a rideable state I might do that. Otherwise I have no way of moving it. My van is too small.

Couple of Qs. In the photos above I'm guessing the copper coloured ring is the gasket and it needs removing? It's not a small copper ring, but quite deep (about 4mm), more like the aluminium ones but is copper coloured. Slightly confusing. Either way, it is welded in there and not coming out. Just checking it is a gasket before I start chiseling away at it / dremeling it?

Also have one of the bolts holding the collector are of the exhaust that has started to come undone and is now suddenly spinning freely without undoing any more. I'm guessing it bolts in to a captive nut in the bracket that has come loose and is spinning no longer allowing the bolt to undo? See pic below. Any advice on this other than what I'm thinking ... I need to cut the bolt now? Bit worried this will leave a nut with part of bolt stuck inside the exhaust bracket next to the collector box, making impossible to reattach?

Lastly... the soft plastic / rubber section inside the exhaust pipe where the header downpipe slots in... is this a shim or just the shape left by some sealant? Should I be cutting it out and using new sealant? Or keep it to slide back into when reassembling? The end of it is deteriorating. See pic below.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 06-11-18 at 04:31 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote