View Single Post
Old 15-10-07, 08:21 PM   #24
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advanced riding – braking

I dunno, I'm definately not that brilliant a wet rider, I tend to ride in the wet in a more traditional way, brake, speed set, obs done and line set and then I'm on a constant throttle to the apex and then winding the throttle on once I'm passsed the apex.

I ride a lot harder in the dry hence why I'm trailing the brakes sometimes, I tend to do it when I'm on a bit of road I know well. If I'm on an unfamiliar road then I dont do it and ride in the brake in a straight line and I find a bit of a slower corner entry speed means I feel safer and I dont have those sphinchter tightening moments if I judge the road wrongly.

I think trailing the brakes is a useful skill though its definately helped me a few times get round corners I think.

I dont also tend to analyse what I'm doing and why anymore I just ride how it feels natural to do so, sometimes I trial sometimes I dont. Is it fundamental to riding, I dont know. I was always told it was a bad thing to do. But I was quite surprised when one day I was out and I did it and I didnt end up in heap. The one thing I've always tried to do and I dont always get it right was to be gentle with the controls, I really noticed that the bike felt better if I squeezed rather than grabbed the brakes to apply them and I was gentle when letting them off again, as mentioned above it helps keep the bike settled doesnt it.

You've got me thinking about my riding and braking now...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote