View Single Post
Old 10-11-10, 03:56 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Riding in cities/large towns

Just wondering how people find they cope with it? Obviously if you've ridden/driven in cities for many years then it will become second nature but I find there is sometimes too much going on in cities to take in all at once and things can so easily get missed. When I was out on the road with an instructor I was occasionally missing the odd important thing, mainly because I didn't either see the appropriate sign in time or just didn't recognize it to take heed in time if that makes sense. Going from living in the country where road riding is a lot more straightforward and its the hazards you need to concentrate more on, I find it a tad stressful when in cities where more concentration has to be given to what the signs tell you. Makes me feel that important hazards could get overlooked.

Having spoken to a few people about this it seems its a common thing, too much information overload in cities with signs just being plonked in places you'd not expect to normally find them and generally poor road layout. My instructor seemed a little put out that I'd not noticed a couple of things but to tell the truth I'm not sure I would have completely understood what the sign was telling me even if I had seen it. I'm not talking about your normal signs as listed in the Highway Code, just variations that catch me out occasionally.

Please discuss!