View Single Post
Old 02-12-17, 12:46 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Preventing plastic stress fractures

I've fitted a RedFox hugger to my AL7 but I'm not 100% happy with the way it is fastened.

It mounts with the two screws that held the old chain guard (the hugger comes with an integrated chain guard) and sits on top of the swing arm close to the shock where another screw (vertical) attaches it to the swing arm, finally, on the exhaust side there's a bracket that locates the rear brake hose guide to the swing arm - the hugger sits under this and is secured by the bracket's screw.

The original chain guard had shoulder bolts (with a shallow shoulder), initially the hugger would not accept these so I opened up the holes until they did.

I still think that the hugger should (or could be made to) fit better so I've bought some (black) 6mm, button head screws and washers which brings me to my question:

The hugger holes line up with the swing arm holes but the chain guard part of the hugger is squeezed/distorted/pulled into position when the screws are tightened ie: it is under tension when fitted. RedFox say don't tighten anything down until all screws are in position but it makes no difference.

I have enough washers to prevent that from happening but I also have a large quantity of "O" rings - so should I rigidly mount the hugger to the swing arm using washers to stop it being pulled out of position or should I use o rings?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote