View Single Post
Old 11-04-18, 12:25 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spark plug observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
When I got my used 650K6 from the dealer, they gave it a full service, including new, standard NGK plugs. After about 6,000 miles (mostly brisk open-road riding, almost no town work) I replaced them with a set of Iridiums.

The standard plugs were pretty much unworn, gap was about 30thou / 0.75mm.

During the week I thought I'd have a look at the Iridiums as they'd done 8,500 miles of the same type of riding. Again, zero electrode wear and no sign of wear elsewhere, gap was still bang on the 0.7mm which I'd set them at.

So the moral of the story is: SV650s seem to give their spark plugs an easy life.
Normally iridium plugs will last 70 to 75,000 miles in a car (or over 120,000 if you believe what you read in American Forums ), so motorbikes definitely harder on plugs than a car. The iridium tip resists the heat and spark erosion much better and are supposed to 'focus' the spark better due to smaller diameter of the tip, my wifes Honda Jazz uses 'double iridium' plugs where both the centre and ground electrodes are iridium as opposed to just centre electrode on most plugs, but they are pricey

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote