View Single Post
Old 17-04-19, 09:24 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: not so much fly as plummet

Bloody hell, that looked VERY painful.

In terms of the unexpected, it reminds me of a very near miss I had, which means that I'm now always very cautious about blind corners on ANY road, no matter how well I know that road.

I was on my old GT380 and approaching a sweeping but blind bend on a road I know very well. Commit to the corner at about 50mph, and just after the apex there's the rear end of an articulated lorry stopped in the middle of the road. I grab and stamp on everything I can, and the next thing I know, I'm stopped on the narrow pavement next to the artic's trailer, level with its rear axles.

I have NO idea how it happened, but somehow I'd steered the bike up a dropped kerb just before the rear of the trailer and braked to a stop on the pavement. Then I started thinking about "what if there hadn't been a pavement or dropped kerb?" and "what if there'd been someone walking on the pavement at the time?"

Took me 15 minutes to stop shaking from the adrenaline and fear, then I rode home very carefully. A lesson well and truly learned.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote