View Single Post
Old 22-05-19, 09:57 AM   #42
Othen

Default Re: Osram Night Breaker Laser H4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
The path from battery through the ignition switch carries all current for all parts of the bike, although I guess you could assume that the headlights make up most of the load. Also, on my K6 the headlight feed also passes through a second set of n/c contacts on the starter switch button, something that wasn't shown on the circuit diagram. You can check if yours is the same by setting the stop/run switch to stop, then see if the start switch cuts the headlights.

That would be a fair assumption I think: that the two 60W headlamps are a much bigger load than anything else except the starter (as above).
In this test it would not make any difference though: it would be a dead test of the impedance of about 2m of wire, one fuse (for each of high and low), two (or three) movable switches, a few mechanical connections on one side, and about 2m of wire on the negative return side. It would be a dead test so loads would not make any difference.
I agree entirely that once the system is energised the voltage at the headlamp luminaires might be different due to other factors (on both the supply and demand sides). What I’m proposing as a test would be exactly the same as a R1+Rn test on a radial circuit in a building (wire/switches/mechanical connections are the same, so it would make sense). I think it would be a valid test.
I could also measure the potential difference between the furthest H4 connector and the negative terminal with both the system energised,and then with the engine running, and compare it with the potential across the battery terminals in both states to get a good estimate of actual voltage loss. When I get a mo I’ll run both tests, maybe not today, but I’m planning to have half a day working on the K6 to balance the throttle bodies some time this week or next, so I’ll do it then.
It will be interesting to see how healthy the wiring is after 13 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk