View Single Post
Old 05-02-05, 11:08 PM   #1
curium

Default My AA Experience.

I had just pulled onto the A406 from a sliproad and was accelarating upto traffic speed when I lost drive. I frantically stepped through the gear box, thinking I'd hit a false neutral, but no drive was to be found.
I pulled up on the side of the road and looked down to discover my chain had snapped and flown clean off! Damaging the rear, left indicator in the process.
I do have a scottoiler, although last week I noticed some surface rust on the chain as I was approaching the bike. Upon closer inspection the dispenser for the scottoiler had swivelled around so that it was facing away from the sprocket. I corrected it but that period without oil (a week at most as I washed the bike the previous weekend) seems to have sounded the death knell for the chain.

I called The AA and they recovered me within 20 minutes!

Excellent first experience.

So anyway I can't complain too much. The bike has done 13,000+ miles and was still on the original chain and sprockets. It hadn't needed adjustment and the bike had a major service in December. So it it would seem that 1 winter week of daily usage in London without oil was enough to knacker it.

I plan to order replacement chain and sprokets off the internet and then have a dealer fit them. Anyone care to recommend a good place to buy? I want a nice gold chain.

Specifications: D.I.D. 525V8, 108 links.

Anyone know the details for the sprockets? I plan on keeping them standard so I could just count the teeth in the morning.

Also how do you think the dealer will feel if i phone up and say i have the parts and I just want him to fit them? Surely no more then 1 hours labour for a competant mechanic?