Thread: Riding schools
View Single Post
Old 10-04-07, 04:09 PM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
A while back, brands hatch used to advertise a "ducati experiance". Pay your money, turn up and ride their ducatis around the track. Now, I know they dont do this sort of thing anymore, but are there any places that do something similar?

I'd love to get on a track and ride around, but I dont want to take my bike on a trackday because 1) its underpowered, and i think it would be too dangerous, 2) I cant afford another set of tyres and 3) i dont want to crash my own bike

What about ron haslams race school? Has anyone done that?

Matt
I wouldn't write off a trackday so quickly. If you choose your track carefully then the restricted SV won't feel too underpowered. At Brands Indy last month, there was an RS250 who was running rings around most of the sportsbikes. You won't go through a set of tyres on a trackday. Yes they will wear more than road riding, but they will still be fine afterwards (unless they are on their way out now!). As for crashing....you can never predict what will or will not happen, but if you ride to your limits, then you can reduce the risk a lot. Plus there are instructors about for you to grab and get advice from.

Have a look at this:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=86798

A load of us from here did it last year - many on first trackdays. It was good fun!

EDIT: Plus it's only 90 pounds, which is way less than a race school.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 10-04-07 at 04:38 PM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote