View Single Post
Old 01-05-18, 01:09 PM   #24
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

I was basing my earlier replies on having watched the program last week. I've now read the link and see the judge's summing up was pretty damning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
"Your staged apology to this whole room was entirely hollow. If you are motivated by anything other than self-motivation you would have admitted what you have done. Not made this process longer by your decision to contest guilt.
"You were driving along the M4, driving within the speed limit. Whether this caution was because of being over the legal limit to drive, we will never know.
"He was travelling quicker than you, and overtook you. That was enough for you to embark upon a horrendous, dangerous pursuit.
"It would appear your ego is so frail that the mere fact of being overtaken was too much to withstand.
"This was an aggressive course of driving intended to intimidate and bully David Evans. Your past suggests that bullying is in your nature.
"You accelerated harshly, going from 52mph to 86mph in a pursuit of the bike. You must've dropped down the gears and accelerated hard.
"You exaggerated the poor weather conditions to say you were not aware of the collision.
"One can't imagine how David Evans felt in the moments before the collision. You were travelling along behind him at great speed, less than half a second behind his rear wheel.
"You drove into him, clipping his foot peg, causing him to lose control and in the resulting collision, lose his life.
"You know you contributed to his death. Having driven him off the road, and to his death, you drove off. Even for someone with your record for dishonesty, this was absolutely shameful.
"Your yearning for self-preservation was sickening... You drove off and went to remove the evidence that proved you had been in a collision.
"No sentence can recompense those who have lost David Evans or undo the wrong."
Sweeting, of Bettws, Newport, who had had 21 convictions across 35 offences dating back to 1979, was given seven years in prison for death by dangerous driving, 12 months for attempting to pervert the course of justice, and was disqualified for driving for six years.
This reinforces my assertion that 7 years when 14 is available to the judge is lenient. WTF do you have to be guilty of get the full force of the law?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote