View Single Post
Old 11-04-05, 08:13 AM   #46
Patch

OK here is my understanding of what is and is not the state of the law based on research since first commenting on this thread. I do not claim that this information is absolutely correct but it is an interperatation of what I can find.

The EU set standards for noise and emissions and any "EU" approved silencer is marked with either an E number or the correct BS number. Ammendments to UK construction and use legislation made it an offence for any retailer to sell a silencer not marked either with an approved E/BS number, the words "not for road use" or as being for bikes that date pre 1985.

The MOT test was ammended to check that the silencer was correctly stamped however this contravenes international trade laws and was ammended last year to a check that the silencer is not stamped Not for Road use and that the noise level is acceptable when compared to other similar bikes.

It is perfectly legal for anyone to purchase a silencer which has an acceptable noise level from say the USA or Aus and fit it to a bike in the UK if it has no stamp.

As far as I can discover (if I am wrong I apologise) there is no law which states that a bike silencer has to be stamped. I may be wrong and so I would ask that any of our boys in blue check and reproduce the ACT and wording of the Act that would make it an offence.

So the situation as I see it is that the police can stop you for a loud exhaust if they hear it and form an opinion that it is louder than is acceptable. They can then issue you with a recitification notice and a £30 on the spot fine. If you accept the fine you have no appeal process. however if your exhaust is baffled and is genuinely not "not for road use" then there is a legal challenge open to you.

Note filing off the not for road use will get you in serious trouble if you then claimed that the silencer was legal.

Where do I sit on this? I have after market silencers fitted to the GS and VFR they are Remus have baffles and neither has any stamp as they are both "grey" imports.