View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 10:29 PM   #1
ChrisF

Default Curvy Stator Issues. Bike cuts out

Hi there, I've been having some issues with my curvy recently. Battery died and bike wouldn't start a while back. Had a new battery in. Went well for a few months, until the bike cut out whilst riding. Electrics went first, then the bike begun to splutter until iflt finally stopped altogether.

After recharging the battery, I am able to start the bike but it dies very quickly afterwards in the same way as mentioned above.

I've replaced the RR as I had a spare lying about (also replaced the starter relay).

Battery voltage drops slightly when the bike is started, rather than 14ish volts that should be seen.

I have measured the resistances of my coils, all check out (around 0.5ohms).

I've also checked that my stator wires are not shorting to earth.

I was unable to run the bike long enough to get to 5000rpm to check the ac output from the stator, but while idling I was only getting 18v (supposedly 70 is required at 5000 rpm, not sure what reading is normal at idle).

I've also shorted my kickstand switch but the problem persists.

I am thinking that my stator needs replacing (only guessing, as I said before I'm not sure if my 18v was normal) , but before forking out on a new one I just want to see if there is anything else I can do, or if any one might have some other advice.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by ChrisF; 05-01-19 at 11:26 PM.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote