View Single Post
Old 16-09-09, 03:20 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Default Re: Another unmarked police vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Sorry to clutter up thread, but, thinking about this, and even I did it, but isn't this illegal of any sort?
Interesting debate, Von Teese (though perhaps jokingly) suggested above it may be obstruction, but it's not obstructing in the same as flashing your lights to warn of a speed trap, because we are not warning anybody where these cars are on a particular day or time.

To secure a conviction for obstruction would you not have to prove that this thread stopped the police from carrying out their duties effectively in a specific circumstance. For instance somebody would have to get out of a car and say "yes officer, I was doing 100mph when I first saw you in my mirrors, but I slowed down before you had time to obtain the necessary evidence, because I'm a member of the sv650 forum, and I recognised your registration number from a thread on there"

Also the information in this thread itself is already in the public domain, put there by the police as soon as they flash the blue lights in a public place. This thread has 492 views, lets assume only 10% of those live in the Madlanders area, and a further 75% are repeat visits as people see it in today's posts, or their subscribed threads. The M6 carries 110 vehicles per minute, many many times more people see the identity of these cars at the side of the motorway, than will ever see it this thread.

So even if the thread were illegal in some way, would the CPS ever bother with a prosecution?

If we removed the registration numbers the information is then anecdotal, little more than pub talk.

I can't delete the thread now, but if we decide it is illegal, then Mods please delete the thread.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-09-09 at 03:25 PM.