View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 09:11 AM   #14
Othen

Default Bloop - what do you think about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I know people that have done this, apparently the smokescreen produced is quite spectacular and it's possible to see the 'ring of fire' move along the pipe as the soot, oil & crud burns

The pipe will need repainting / chroming afterwards though

The metal is pretty thin on the header and muffler, I’ve repaired both with plates and paste but I didn’t dare try MIG welding the plates on, there was just too much risk of burning a hole. I think the exhaust is a bit too delicate to try the ring of fire, but I’ll have a go at the chimney sweep method and hope it is not just the carbon holding it together!
I would not want costs to get out of hand for this project, I dare say I could source a NOS header and muffler (maybe from the Far East where similar bikes seem to still be in manufacture) for £300 to £400, and that would be very smart, but cost as much as the entire project (purchase plus parts, but not my labour (not even at 4p/hour) of course).
The Bloop is fun, I use it half a dozen times a year to ride around town where it always attracts a crowd of middle aged men with beards who had one (or their dads had one) back in the day. My son and my nephew (both aged 14) as well as lots of their school mates have learned to ride on it in the woods, and because it is far from a pristine example I don’t mind changing the odd clutch lever.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 09:13 AM.