View Single Post
Old 24-08-11, 09:25 PM   #1
coombest

Question Heeelp!! ZX7R running rough! :0(

Right - as seen here, I have been having a bit of trouble with my 1999 ZX7R, which had led to me leaving it in the garage for the last few months (even then it was only ridden a few times before I thought I had the head gasket problems, since I'd given up on it several months before that!).

It had stainless exhaust pipes fitted a couple of years ago and has a cut down Scorpion titanium oval can (was on my SV but was cut to 2/3rds length to remove crtash damage and fitted to the 7R)
It has a K&N air filter and was dyno'd and possibly rejetted at a garage locally to me just before I lost heart with it!
I fitted a Nissin radial master cylinder (from a GSX-R600) and Nissin 4 pot calipers (from a bandit 1200 - was fed up with regularly siezing pistons and distinctly average performance). This necessitated new RHS switchgear (from a ZX6R), throttle tube & housing (from a ZX10R - therefore 1/4 turn action). This required custom throttle cables & routing.

There is a 'flat spot' from from about 4,200rpm up to about 6,800rpm.
Within this rev range, if I open the throttle, it judders and shakes and goes nowhere fast. When you hit the 7,000-odd point, it enters banzai-loony mode and lifts the nose (in 1st-4th gears!) and sods off into the distance , as it should! The juddering seems to be slightly less obvious when the throttle is opened slooowly.

On Monday, I spent the day tinkering and did the following (amondst other stuff!):
Drained (dark yellow) fuel and replaced with fresh Super Plus (with a dash of Redex).
Sprayed carb cleaner into carb bellmouths, opened top of carbs, sprayed rubbers and wiped clean, sprayed carb cleaner into the air intakes when running.
Checked air filter and checked airbox - all good and fits pretty snugly (as snugly as it ever did, any way!).
Drained oil, refilled with cheap oil, ran to warm & drained.
Replaced oil filter (with Kawasaki genuine part) and refilled with good, semi-synth oil.
Checked all oil & water hoses. Tightened one water hose which showed signs of minor water leak.
Located carb heater system inline water filter and cleaned LOADS of crud out from it.
Checked all spark plug caps & leads (couldn't find my long reach spark plug wrench to check the low mileage irridium plugs!)
Checked exhaust system is gas tight (good at engine and can joins but there is a small amount of gas-staining at a small dent on the end cap of the can).

I'm now at a loss, as it's still almost the same as it was before.

I'm wondering if the can could be having a detrimental effect, so could try hooking up the old one (Leo Vinci race can) if I can find the adapter for it!

Any helpful suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance