View Single Post
Old 27-06-14, 08:36 AM   #47
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR2014- Closing thoughts

well probably one of the last home from this, thoughts......Hmmmm, over all my impressions of my 12th attended AR, now I'm a little more fragile and older these things take a degree more planning, so distance has a fatigue factor; I'm glad I broke the journey up and stopped the night half way, it did make for a far fresher rider turning up to the site than one which had slogged it from London in one bash.

Bellingham.... nice little village, good amenities, nice food/pub and the co-op was well handy, nice local roads and a wonderful night ride was had Saturday.

Site..... it was clean and tidy, the guy seemed friendly enough and mostly kept out the way, the bunkhouse was impressive (but then it was fairly new I gather), as for camping; there were two fields, we were given the larger but more undulating one, I chose the flattest bit I could find, but still not ideal as it was some distance from the ablutions (makes a difference with a duff knee), also the grass had been cut but the trimmings hadn't been collected, this means with the morning dew it becomes wet you end up getting it everywhere, small things I know, but they do make a difference.

Organization...... Obviously my thanks for those concerned,(as it was the only bid for this year, much as last year, we could well have found ourselves in January with nothing, so well done for stepping up.), given the minimal resources I think the guys done a wonderful job and accomidated the AR thing very well, although those that kicked off Sunday morning did miss a treat as the ride that day I think was far better.

All in all a good job, would I go back????? probably not camping, but could well do a stop over on the way up to Scotland, but this years AR will as always carry fond memories and be mainly down to the folks that attended.

See you at the next one hopefully.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote