View Single Post
Old 18-08-09, 07:10 PM   #41
-Ralph-

Default Re: Madlanders Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
A good old fashioned copper would just smile.

How many members do we have in Madlanders and how many people do these cars deal with every year? It's an unmeasurable tiny tiny minority that will have seen the plate from looking at this post on this forum. It's not like we're putting up billboards at the side of the M42 It's all a game and this gives us a tiny advantage

In the old days spotting a copper before he spotted you was all part of the game. They even used to stop you and say "I know what speed you were doing because of xyz, but I also know that you spotted me and slowed down before I had a chance to use the Vascar, next time I'll get you!".

When I was 18 I spotted an unmarked car waiting for folk coming out of the Th'Owd Tithe Barn (old Nells) pub on the A6 at Garstang. I pulled out of the car park and saw him sitting in a white Vauxhall Senator. Most folk turn left onto the A6, so he was waiting on the other side of the road, I turned right into the country lanes that I knew like the back of my hand and was in an XR3i, my mate was behind me in a 1.0 Micra and the copper would have to overtake him to get to me. So I saw my advantage and got the hammer down. The copper burled the car round, overtook my mate and gave chase. At the next village about 5-6 miles down the lane, he was waiting for my mate and stopped him. He walked up to the window with a smile and said "Tell your mate well done! First time in 20 years somebody has lost me. I be waiting for him next Saturday night and we'll see who's quicker when he doesn't have a head start!"

Another time on the M6 past Preston on 2nd January in the early hours of the morning I passed a Rover 800 doing 70 mph in the slow lane on an empty motorway. I was doing well over the ton in my Dad's Volvo S40. I slowed down to 80 and sure enough he comes up behind me and blue lights flash. Told him I'd just driven back from a New Years party in Bournemouth, empty motorway, Dad's car which I wasn't used to, looked down, got a surprise and lifted my foot. The copper knew it was ******** and that I'd just clocked him sitting at 70, so instead of booking me we spent half an hour sitting him on the bonnet of his car, me on the boot of the Volvo, on the hard shoulder, having a chat about what we did over xmas.

Those were the days! Coppers were fair (they still are when you find one, but they've been replaced by speed cameras!) and you could have a chat, a laugh and even the odd race and still avoid a ticket.