View Single Post
Old 29-04-18, 09:34 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I saw this on SVR and thought I'd share it here.

It's a long read which shows you can never be sure just what sort of f*ck*ng maniac you might encounter on the roads during an everyday, routine journey: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43716912

TL;DR - guy on a CB500 heading home to his family from working a shift on Christmas Day 2015 overtook a Mini on a virtually deserted M4. In response to being overtaken, the Mini's driver accelerated aggressively and started hounding the rider for several minutes before clipping the bike, causing it to crash into the central reservation, which killed the rider at the scene.

The driver at first denied seeing or being involved in any incident, but was eventually convicted thanks to painstaking detective work.

He was given 7 years for death by dangerous driving, and another year for attempting to pervert the course of justice. Personally, I feel the sentence should have been much longer, especially as the sentencing guidelines allow for up to 14 years.
Why are the sentences for death by dangerous / distracted driving so much less than for murder / manslaughter ? The result is the same, but the weapon is a vehicle rather than a gun or knife. Some truly shockingly lenient sentences handed out these days for deaths caused by vehicles.

I think judges are told not to send people to jail because of overcrowding, well build some more then

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote